Tamil Nadu Fisheries University (TNFU) was established in 2012 in Nagapattinam district under Tamil Nadu Fisheries University Act, 2012. The Government of Tamil Nadu under the leadership of Honorable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Selvi. J. Jayalalithaa, has established a separate Fisheries University through Tamil Nadu Fisheries Act No. 21 of 2012.Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu also declared open the Fisheries College and Research Institute, Ponneri on 20.2.2013 .
1. Close to the city and is growing at a rapid speed on the outskirts of our Metro City, Chennai (15 Kms from city limits).
2. Well connected by Rail and Road and the College Campus is beside the railway station (walkable distance) at Ponneri.
3. One of the 100 cities in India slated to be developed as Smart City and the only place in Tamil Nadu state, chosen by the Government of India.
4. A number of reputed Engineering Colleges & other Educational Institutions are located in the District.
5. A beautiful town with Greenery all around with copious freshwater supply.
1.The Largest Brackishwater Lake of the state ‘Pulicat lake’ is located just 15kms from Fisheries College and Research Institute, Ponneri.
2. Students can be exposed to a typical brackish water resource related studies at Pulicat Lake
3. Geographically blessed place for undertaking both Freshwater & Brackish water fish farming Research.
4. Cluster of fish and Shrimp farms in and around Ponneri - a boon for the B.F.Sc. students.
1. Administrative and Academic Block (Main Campus)- an area of 62,000 sq.ft
2. Spacious & Air-conditioned ‘SMART’ class room facilities
3. State –of-art Laboratory facilities for Research and Quality Testing for various Fisheries Disciplines
4. A ‘Modern Fish Processing cum Quality testing Incubation Centre’
5. A ‘Marine Aqua Workshop’ facility
6. Girls & Boys Hostels with Dining facilities
7. Faculty Home
8. Play Grounds
1.Well connected by Train: travel time of less than an hour.
2.College Bus shall be arranged to ply from specific locations in the city to the college on payment basis.